For FarmBot Inc employees only (kind of)
While this documentation is primarily written for consumption by FarmBot Inc employees, one of our public benefit purposes is to openly share our business . That's why these documents are public on the web and even linked-to from our blog and main website instead of hidden behind a password.
In this regard we hope that other businesses, employers, and employees can learn from and become inspired by our internal processes. Enjoy!
This documentation is in a public beta stage
This documentation hub was started in September, 2018. While we have added enough content so far to make the hub useful, we still have a lot of content to write and refine before we would consider this a robust and comprehensive resource. Stay tuned, things should look a lot more complete by the middle of 2019!
FarmBot Inc. is a California Benefit Corporation. Coded into our bylaws are these specific benefit purposes:
Our company is founded on the belief that a more open food system is a better one. The following aspects of our products will be openly shared at the time the product is publicly released:
- Hardware designs shall be released in accordance with the Open Source Hardware Association’s definition of open source hardware.
- Software source code shall be released under a permissive license approved by the Open Source Initiative.
- Documentation shall be released under a license conforming to the definition of “open” put forth by the Open Knowledge Foundation.
We believe that business is a powerful agent for change, and like our products, it can be more powerful when its details are openly shared for inspection, modification, and replication by others. The following aspects of our business will be shared for the benefit of our company, our customers, aspiring entrepreneurs, and the FarmBot community at large.
- Detailed sales and financial information including but not limited to revenues, expenditures, profits, salaries, investments, and taxes.
- Cultural, operational, and strategic insights that we determine important to our growth and success.
- We will default to transparency in all aspects of our business except when there are individual or partnership privacy concerns.
Each year, we shall contribute one percent (1%) of our annual net revenue towards furthering The FarmBot Project’s mission to “Grow a community that produces free and open-source hardware plans, software, data, and documentation enabling everyone to build and operate a farming machine.” Contributions shall consist of cash, products, and services that directly help to maintain and grow the community.
We strive to do the right thing in every situation: for each other, our customers, the environment, and all of our stakeholders. We make ethics, integrity, transparency, and community the cornerstones of our business.
Date of Incorporation
April 29, 2016
State of Incorporation